Saturday, January 10, 2009

Your thougths please....

What are your thoughts on re-baptism? I have had somebody recently be very passive when it came to the subject of re-baptism. I was going to ask why he thought the way he did but I didn't want to start something, so I thought I would start it here.

When I was around 12 years old I was at Youth In Action with my Youth group from church. One night all my friends went forward after one of the speakers spoke and I thought they were getting baptized, so I went forward and said I wanted to be baptized. Come to find out they were just asking for prayers! It was too late I had to go through with it. I didn't want to say PSYCH or just kidding, I was 12 years old remember, I was just doing what everybody else was doing...so when I got more mature and actually knew what baptism was about I wanted to get re-baptized for the RIGHT reasons. Now should have just not done that and I said "my bad God, now I get it" or was what I did the right thing? What are your thoughts. I was doing what I felt I needed to do.....just sayin'

2 comments:

Jennyork said...

Helen, it all depends on your thoughts and feelings and understanding of God/Jesus at the time of baptism. I was 12 when I was baptized, the first time, in a Church of Christ church. But when Justin's dad and I were married, we began going to a Baptist church and they wanted to re-baptize me. I was not as outspoken as I am now, and I just agreed to let them baptize me (again). When we divorced I asked the preacher at my parent's church if I had to be baptized again. He asked me why I got baptized the first time. Was it because of someone else getting baptized? No. Was because I wanted to be a better person? Yes. Was it because I wanted to go to Heaven? Yes. Did I/Do I believe in Jesus Christ as my Lord and savior? Yes. I did not get baptized for a 3rd time, as the first time was the right time.

So, do what you feel is right, not what everyone else says is right. Only you know what is right for you!

Anonymous said...

At age 12, I think most kids that have grown up in the church pretty much know enough to take that step.

The key is, you don't have to understand 100% all of the intricasies of God's will to take those first steps into a right relationship with God.

I think about the example of Phillip and the Ethiopian Unich. There was no way that, during that several hour trip, the Unich had a full understanding of things, but he knew enough to take that next step.

Also, when you look at the crowd on the day of Pentecost when Peter spoke. I guarentee a large portion of them knew just enough to know that they needed to take that next step.