Saturday, November 22, 2008

The Lord's Supper

At church last Sunday I had the privilege to be in the nursery during the service. In the nursery there is a big flat screen TV in there so the workers can watch and listen to the service. Well I noticed that Communion wasn't the way we do it most times. There wasn't a prayer before the bread (body) and the juice (blood). It was all done at the end and during this time you were to talk to the person next to you and serve them( some very confused, and then not in the right frame of mind to even take Communion!). Now, I know Matthew 26:17-30 gives the example of how Jesus' wanted this done each Lord's day. Why does the man that "conducts" the communion for that day think he can change it up and do it the way he wants and never mind how Jesus' wanted it done. Conducting the Lord's Supper is not a chance to prove a point or show the way you want things. It is a time to reflect and focus on him. It is hard enough to pray and focus with the worship team singing and now you are just going to, not pray until the end and then make sure we get in the giving part. I am still a firm believer in sticking to what the Bible says and the examples it gives. Now, some people will say the Bible isn't clear on most things but I will tell you it is very clear about the Lord's Supper and I say we stick to that! I'm just say'n!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

So many people treat the Lords Supper like its a solitary thing, "just me and God". But there has got to be a reason that we come together and "gather around the table" in a figurative sense.

Remember that in the early church, they didn't have the little trays and cups... they didn't sit in wooden benches and face a stage. They sat around and shared the meal.

We are supposed to focus on remembering Christ... not just the sacrifice, but how he lived, and how we aught to live. But, we do that together. I'm not quite sure what that means... but I know our "Funeral Service" approach to the Lord's Supper many times misses the point!

Helen said...

our church doesnt even "gather around the table" we dont even have a table up there anymore but that's beside the point. I see what you are saying though, that we come together and break bread. I dont want to treat it like a funeral persay, but I do want this time while taking communion to reflect and pray.I dont want movies shown and loud music playing etc. like our church has done in the past etc. I just feel it takes away from what we are doing.
Now, a funeral is to pay our respects to a person and we should, to some degree do it like that, I think. I also think praying each time and talking about why we take this is very important to the one that is visiting and for the younger kids. Sure, they could ask why we are taking communion but some are afraid and that is a way to teach.

I don't think we should have a whole sermon for each thing during communion like at BH but, dont make is so ratical that people are looking aorund wondering what the heck is going on.

Charles North said...

I hate to throw a wrench in the works again -- but the early church had no uniform practice of taking the Lord's Supper until well into the 4th century. for the first 300 years of Christianity every church did it very differently. We know the early Jewish church celebrated "the Supper" every day. Greek churches introduced the practice of weekly communion, and then couldn't agree on what day to do it.

I guess some things never change - last week I worshipped at an Episcopal church, and their communion was more thoughtful and reverent than any I've ever been a part of.